ENSA Mental Health First Aid
Mental health First Aid Courses
Just like it’s sometimes necessary to give first aid when someone has a physical health issue, so too it’s sometimes necessary to provide first aid when someone has a mental health, emotional health or psychological health issue or crisis. Mental health issues are common and frequently under supported.
With statistics showing that 1 in 4 people around us will experience a mental health condition in any given year, it’s vital we understand more about mental health in general, and also learn more about what to say and do when we notice someone struggling.
Unfortunately, most people don’t feel confident or equipped to initiate conversations around mental health due to stigma, misunderstanding or fear.
Sometimes we don’t know what to say, what to do, or who to turn to for help and support. Becoming a qualified ENSA Mental Health First Aider gives you the tools, skills and confidence to begin essential and potentially life-saving conversations. Because doing something is always the right thing to do.
Mental Health First Aid (Switzerland) is an internationally recognised and scientifically validated program with over 3,000,000 qualified participants among individuals, corporates, and communities.
Courses available online or at your corporate office across Switzerland and Liechtenstein.
Courses We Run
Standard Mental Health First Aid Course
A 12 hour course over 4 sessions full of engaging and practical instruction to equip you with the tools to support the mental health of those around you. A must-have skill for leaders and managers in the 21st century.
Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
A 14 hour course for teachers, parents and community leaders which covers the essentials of recognising and supporting potential mental health issues in young people and providing the tools to engage youth in positive mental health discussions.
Suicide Prevention First Aid Course
A 4.5 hour intensive course on the importance of crisis-management, suicide prevention, language & conversation skills to support those who might be at risk of prematurely taking their own lives due to difficult circumstances
Three Steps to Make it Happen
Step 1: Choose your course (individuals or group courses available).
Step 2: Get in touch, tell us more about you and arrange dates and times.
Step 3: Get qualified.
Complete the course, become a Certified Mental Health First Aider, receive an official certification and a Resilience Agenda Accredited Workplace badge.
The key principle behind ENSA Mental Health First Aid is that non-medical ‘everyday people’ can encourage, support and assist people potentially experiencing poor mental health, stress or having other life issues to seek appropriate professional help and to deal with potentially critical and life-threatening situations.
Mental Health First Aiders learn a unique five-step model for identifying warning signs, communicating effectively, and helping those people who may be developing a mental health issue, experiencing a recurrence of an existing mental health issue or experiencing an acute mental health crisis. Just like we do with physical health and regular first aid.
Importantly, first aiders do not diagnose mental health issues and conditions, but rather learn to identify warning signs and take active steps to encourage people to get the help they need earlier rather than later, which leads to more effective prevention and treatments.
Approximately 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health issue this year in Switzerland. That means there’s a good chance a friend, colleague, family member, child or someone you meet on the street will be experiencing poor mental health.
Would you know what to say, what to do, and where to refer them for support? Doing something is always the right thing to do.
- Protect employee mental health through prevention and early intervention
- Promote a mentally healthy workplace culture and support mechanisms
- Give your people the tools and skills they need to support their colleagues, friends and families
- Encourage help-seeking behaviour, self-help skills and generate awareness
- Globally recognised qualification and accreditation
- Scientifically-backed evidence that ENSA MHFA increase awareness, positive action and prevents the escalation of crises
- Managers, team leaders and anyone working with large teams
- Medical, nursing or social workers in the caring professions
- Customer service, front-line and employees in contact with the general public
- Teachers, coaches or community leaders
- Anyone interested in becoming a more understanding friend, colleague or partner
- 12 Hours of practical, instructor led training – delivered online or in groups up to 20
- Includes two qualified instructors, workbooks for each participant, practical accessories, as well as all drinks, snacks and equipment provided (if necessary)
- Maximum of 20 participants in each course – arrange a series of courses for your staff
- Anyone over the age of 18 is able to become a Mental Health First Aider in Switzerland
- Available in English, French or German
- On completion of a short final written knowledge test, you will receive an official Mental Health First Aid Certificate
- Receive a 50% credit on the cost of your course with SWICA health insurance
- Speak to us to arrange rebates and discounts for multiple courses across different locations
- An overview of mental health problems, treatments and support services in Switzerland, barriers to help, and pathways to prevention
- The key facts, signs and symptoms for common mental illnesses including anxiety, depression, bipolar, eating-disorder, PTSD and psychosis
- The MHFA five step model to assist someone you know or don’t know in a difficult situation
- Specific techniques and strategies for crisis and non-crisis situations
- How to talk about mental health without arousing resentment, conflict or stigma
- Official Licenced Provider and Partner to Pro Mente Sana
- Evidence-based – All our content is scientifically validated and supported. Read the evidence here – https://www.researchgate.net/publication/264867737_Mental_Health_First_Aid_is_an_effective_public_health_intervention_for_improving_knowledge_attitudes_and_behavior_A_meta-analysis
- Expertise and results – we live, breathe and teach this stuff everyday
- Engaging, down-to-earth and instructors with lived experience of supporting those with mental health conditions
- Flexible booking, language and payment terms
- Pricing – please get in touch to discuss options and how we can tailor our offer to your needs
What people say
Very happy with my diary – already filling in dates for the new year – great size and quality of materials used. Love the positive and practical words throughout.
I saw it on Instagram and thought – wow – that would make a great Christmas present. So I bought one for myself and one for each of my bridesmaids.
I just received mine and I’m delighted. I wasn’t sure what to expect, but its high quality, and I love the message, and I think it will make a difference in my life next year. I’ve already showed people at work and they are keen to get a copy too.
I’m loving my Resilience Agenda diary because it’s easy to follow. The information and support given is easy to understand and relates to everyday people which is important. I also love it how it explains the importance of being mentally fit, and how you can set goals and plan to become so.
I wish you the very best and hope that it grows to be a movement of people that are not only aware of their mental health but are actively practicing keeping mentally fit. Keep up the good work, you are inspiring, and I am sure you will have much success