Mental Health First Aid
Mental Health First Aid Courses
Courses & Training Switzerland
Just like it’s sometimes necessary to give first aid when someone has a physical health issue, so too it’s sometimes necessary to provide first aid when someone has a mental health, emotional health or psychological health issue or crisis.
Mental health issues are common and frequently under supported. The challenges of isolation, remote work, and massive uncertainty have made high-quality, pro-active and engaging resilience and mental health education more important than ever before.
With statistics showing that 1 in 4 people around us will experience a mental health condition in any given year, it’s vital we understand more about mental health in general, understand how to maintain and develop our own mental health, and to learn what to say and do when we notice someone around us who might be struggling or having a hard time.
Unfortunately, most people don’t feel confident or equipped to initiate conversations around mental health due to stigma, misunderstanding or fear.
Sometimes we don’t know what to say, what to do, or who to turn to for help and support. Becoming a qualified ENSA Mental Health First Aider gives you and your team the tools, skills and confidence to begin essential and potentially life-saving conversations. Because doing something is always the right thing to do. Once you’ve learnt the skills, you’ll never look at mental health the same way again.
ENSA Mental Health First Aid (Switzerland) is an internationally recognised and scientifically validated program with over 3,000,000 qualified participants among individuals, corporates, and communities.
The courses we run are available online, in public locations, or at your corporate office across throughout the year.
Courses We Run
Standard Mental Health First Aid Course
A 12 hour course over 4 sessions full of engaging and practical instruction to equip you with the tools to support the mental health of those around you. A must-have skill for leaders and managers in the 21st century.
Youth Mental Health First Aid Course
A 14 hour course for teachers, parents and community leaders which covers the essentials of recognising and supporting potential mental health issues in young people and providing the tools to engage youth in positive mental health discussions.
Suicide Prevention First Aid Course
A 4.5 hour intensive course on the importance of crisis-management, suicide prevention, language & conversation skills to support those who might be at risk of prematurely taking their own lives due to difficult circumstances.
Five Steps to Get Started
Step 1: Choose to run either a Standard, Youth or Suicide Prevention course at your workplace or organisation.
Step 2: Get in touch with us, tell us more about you and your goals and we can discuss dates, prices and content.
Step 3: Select your participants and communicate internally with your team about what they’ll learn.
Step 4: Attend your course in person or online and develop the skills to assist people experiencing poor mental health.
Step 5: Get qualified and confidently be a certified Mental Health First Aider.
The key principle behind ENSA Mental Health First Aid is that non-medical ‘everyday people’ can encourage, support and assist people potentially experiencing poor mental health, stress or having other life issues to seek appropriate professional help and to deal with potentially critical and life-threatening situations.
Mental Health First Aiders learn a unique five-step model for identifying warning signs, communicating effectively, and helping those people who may be developing a mental health issue, experiencing a recurrence of an existing mental health issue or experiencing an acute mental health crisis. Just like we do with physical health and regular first aid.
Importantly, first aiders do not diagnose mental health issues and conditions, but rather learn to identify warning signs and take active steps to encourage people to get the help they need earlier rather than later, which leads to more effective prevention and treatments.
Approximately 1 in 4 people will experience a mental health issue this year in Switzerland. That means there’s a good chance a friend, colleague, family member, child or someone you meet on the street will be experiencing poor mental health.
Would you know what to say, what to do, and where to refer them for support? Doing something is always the right thing to do.
- Protect employee mental health through prevention and early intervention
- Promote a mentally healthy workplace culture and support mechanisms
- Give your people the tools and skills they need to support their colleagues, friends and families
- Encourage help-seeking behaviour, self-help skills and generate awareness
- Globally recognised qualification and accreditation
- Scientifically-backed evidence that ENSA MHFA increase awareness, positive action and prevents the escalation of crises
- Managers, team leaders and anyone working with large teams in a professional setting.
- Human Resources, People & Culture or Executives looking to create a culture of trust and care in the workplace.
- Medical, nursing or social workers in the caring professions.
- Customer service, front-line and employees in contact with the general public.
- Teachers, coaches or community leaders.
- Anyone interested in becoming a more understanding friend, colleague or partner.
- 12 Hours of practical, instructor led training – delivered online or in groups up to 20
- Includes two qualified instructors, workbooks for each participant, practical accessories, as well as all drinks, snacks and equipment provided (if necessary)
- Maximum of 20 participants in each course – arrange a series of courses for your staff
- Anyone over the age of 18 is able to become a Mental Health First Aider in Switzerland
- Available in English, French or German
- On completion of a short final written knowledge test, you will receive an official Mental Health First Aid Certificate
- Receive a 50% credit on the cost of your course with SWICA health insurance
- Speak to us to arrange rebates and discounts for multiple courses across different locations
- An overview of mental health problems, treatments and support services in Switzerland, barriers to help, and pathways to prevention
- The key facts, signs and symptoms for common mental illnesses including anxiety, depression, bipolar, eating-disorder, PTSD and psychosis
- The MHFA five step ROGER model to assist someone you know or don’t know in a difficult life situation
- Specific techniques, skills and strategies to effectively handle crisis and non-crisis mental health situations
- How to talk about mental health without arousing resentment, conflict or stigma
- Official Licenced Provider and Partner to Pro Mente Sana across Switzerland & Liechtenstein.
- Evidence-based – All our content is scientifically validated and supported.
- Expertise and results – we live, breathe and teach this stuff everyday
- We have 25,000 supporters across the world who support our inspiring Mental Fitness approach to mental health.
- Engaging, down-to-earth and instructors with lived experience of supporting those with mental health conditions
- Flexible booking, language and payment terms
- Competitive pricing – please get in touch to discuss options and how we can tailor our offer to your needs here
- We offer Mental Health First Aid (MHFA) courses in English, German, French & Italian across Switzerland
What people say
Hadleigh is the best in the business when it comes to presenting mental health in a relevant and interesting way. Highly recommend him.